Sunday, March 22, 2009

March 21st A common Loon in a very odd place


photo credit Janet Schumacher

Forgive me for reporting a location not within this blog's requirements. However, i feel the need to report it given the history and need to restore habitats in Brooklyn. ( its near enough to Prospect :)> )

I received this note from club member and First Sunday Audubon Center walk leader regular Michele Dreger:

I was walking home from the park on Saturday afternoon and spotted the best bird of the day one block from my house. A Common Loon in non breeding plumage. It was viewed from the 3rd Street Bridge but I got much better looks from the foot of 2nd Street and the canal.

My neighbors told me it has been here all week.


The Gowanus Canal come in from Buttermilk Channel thru the Red Hook / Carroll Gardens general area. It has been a focus of industrial pollution run amok .I have heard of efforts of cleaning and upgrading the water quality in recent years.I am not sure.
Anyway, nice to hear of this report.