Thursday, July 1, 2010

July 1st Tern,tern,tern........

When I received  news this late afternoon that the  LEAST TERN was  feeding over Prospect Lake, i was quite satisfied that my bold prediction yesterday came true of it coming back.. But , it went even better : there were TWO LEAST TERNS out in the middle of the lake, one of them ventured close to the West Island shelter.

But the tern drama didn't end there. I came back about 45 minutes later to the lake and though I didn't see the Least terns, I spotted three terns along the north shore ( along Well drive). FORSTER TERNS, three sticking close to each other, gracefully flew along the shore before heading out in that direction, over Lamppost 249.

Hot afternoon on the water drama, hot action with a reTERN of rare species for the park. (excuse my bad pun)   ; )

--Kingsboider

List ( bet 4 and 5 pm)

Least Tern ( 2)
Forster Tern (3)
Red-tailed Hawk ( above Peninsula meadow)
Eastern Kingbird ( over southwest lake)
Barn Swallows
Canada Geese ( many)
Mallard
Laughing Gulls (3)