Tuesday, June 7, 2011

American Kestrels in the 'Hoods..

I received a few emails from birders about Kestrels in the neighborhood.

One report from Eni Falci tells of an offshoot pair likely nesting by Carlton Ave. /Flatbush Ave. /Prospect Pl. triangle ( near the Flatbush Mall and new sports arena). They were seen hunting together every morning. There was a parental pair last year by Vanderbilt Ave and Plaza Street area. (GAP pair)

And an email from Mike Corzine, see his posting below:

"I've been seeing a Kestrel, at times a pair, from my window in Ditmas Park, for the past few weeks. Sometimes as close as 40 feet. They seem to favor the old TV antennae and cell towers on some of the roofs that my living room looks out on. I haven't seen the female in 2 weeks and I'm hoping she's sitting in a nest."

Dr Bob DeCandido runs a Kestrel newsletter and keeps track of this species in NYC. You should report to him any sightings for the record. See his latest newsletter and info details for letting him know from the link below ( clickon).

--Kingsboider

http://www.battaly.com/nehw/AmericanKestrel/news/news.pdf