Thursday, December 17, 2009

December 17th Prospect

Hilight today was a flock of ~145 SNOW GEESE including 2 blue morphs in a high flyover over the Nethermead , heading southwest around 10:10 am; also noted , Eastern Towhee ,Chipping Sparrow,Hermit Thrush ( previous 3 uncommon in winter), feeder birds

Searching for owls in any pine before the Xmas count becomes a passionate task,but oftentimes i get something else --unexpectantly. It happened while I was looking in some spruces on the Binnen Pool lawn, backed away, turned, when something caught my eye, multiple "dots" reflecting sunlight, a shimmering mass w-a-a-a-y up in the sky. Immediately I threw down my sunglasses , and trying to maneuver my arms inside my stuffy winter coat, I peered through my bins. Recognizing those black tips on the pure white wings and bodies, that shimmering mass struck me with a little awe, 145 SNOW GEESE higher than the planes that fly over the park. I mean ..that's high.I was surprised i caught sight of the flock.Thanks to my amber brown sunglasses, I got lucky today. (by the way, only one other Snow Goose sighting this year was a lone bird on the peninsula meadow in late March)

In that moving double "V" changing formation , I caught sight of two extreme formation birds, darker than the white shapes, two blue- morph Snow Geese. They really did stick out, believe me. A very impressive force that I lost a half a minute later as the flock flew southwesterly, the bright sun burning out any further clarification. Doesn't matter, I saw them long enough.

On the down to earth stage, the feeders are being visited by the usual winter species, but a handsome RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH has become a loyal customer. It should stick around.

I also paid visit to the private grounds of the Quaker Cemetery. I didn't have to go far in; just inside the main gate, on the active birdy slope, quality birds surfaced: HERMIT THRUSH,CAROLINA WREN,and CHIPPING SPARROW , unseasonal species except the wren.

And last, the boathouse slope path is a haven for EASTERN TOWHEE; this time, I caught sight of the female, deep within the witch hazel grove .

I am keeping my fingers crossed for these birds for the big count.

Nothing much on the lake, a seemingly empty place nowadays ,low numbers for ducks, except I can't say that for the Canada geese. There was a notable observation, near the West Island Shelter. From the circular benches, I spied 4 GADWALL along the phragmite edge.

I hear snow (or a maybe) is coming Saturday (30- 50 %) ...can't tell if that is good news or bad....except for skiers .


from online search, Blue morph Snow Goose -->> ( takes time to load)

http://www.digital-images.net/Images/Bosque_del_Apache/SnowGoose_BlueMorph_4413.jpg

Location: Prospect Park
Observation date: 12/17/09
Number of species: 43

Snow Goose 145 high flyover Nethermead @ 10:10 am
Canada Goose 230--about 45 on Parade groiunds, rest on lake
Mute Swan 4
Gadwall 4 --2 drake, 2 hen along phrags adj West Island shelter
American Black Duck 3 west Island
American Black Duck x Mallard (hybrid) X
Mallard X
Northern Shoveler X
Bufflehead --drake west Island
Ring-necked Duck 1 drake Upper Pool
Ruddy Duck X lake
Pied-billed Grebe 1 lullwater bridge
Double-crested Cormorant 1 rink waters
Great Blue Heron 2 upper pool
Black-crowned Night-Heron 1 imm Duck island
Red-tailed Hawk 1 f/o Quaker Ridge
American Coot X lullwater
Ring-billed Gull X
Herring Gull (American) X
Great Black-backed Gull 1
Rock Pigeon X
Mourning Dove 70
Red-bellied Woodpecker 1 inside Quaker Cemetery
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker 1 Quaker Cemetery
Downy Woodpecker 1 feeder
Black-capped Chickadee 3 feeders
Tufted Titmouse 1 feeders
Red-breasted Nuthatch 1 feeders
White-breasted Nuthatch 2 feeders
Carolina Wren 1 inside Quaker Cemetery
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 1 Boathouse slope
Hermit Thrush 1 inside Quaker Cemetery
American Robin 3 lullwater
Northern Mockingbird 1 rink
European Starling X
Eastern Towhee 1 female ,Boathouse slope path
Chipping Sparrow 1 inside Quaker Cemetery
Song Sparrow 2 breeze hill
White-throated Sparrow 40 inside Quaker Cemetery
Dark-eyed Junco 60--20 Propsite; 40 parkwide
Northern Cardinal 23--14 inside Quaker Cemetery; parkwide
Red-winged Blackbird 14 feeding in sweetgum over Center Drive
House Finch 2 feeders
American Goldfinch 1 inside Quaker Cemetery
House Sparrow X

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org/)

*************************

Thanks to Nancy Tim and Rob Bate for the latest donation of bird seed the past few days. It 'll be a wonderful season for all watching the winter collective of nuthatches, chickadees, woodpeckers, and friends...