Tuesday, December 28, 2010

December 28th post Blizzard's good offerings

Winter Sentinel watching the lake. Should I tease those gulls again?


The post period of Sunday's massive blizzard continues to bring good luck to Prospect. On the second consecutive day, after yesterday's observations of Red-shouldered Hawk, Common Merganser along with unseasonal Gray Catbird ( seen again today), Eastern Towhee ( near the Catbird), and  Chipping Sparrow , the biggest surprise today was an AMERICAN PIPIT seen initially across the lake from Well drive ( but thought to be a Rusty Blackbird from that distance) thru my scope but confirmed later when I went over to investigate.

On my usual start from the Well Dr /Lake Dr junction, I aimed for the feeders again. Gray Catbird continues its winter survival ability, seen feeding on porcelain berries above the Lamppost #249 site. A Red Tailed Hawk was my next observation , perched at its usual general abode ( see pic above). It was at this point, I scoped the lake for anything good but it  wasn't on the water that caught my attention but a smallish bird ( from that great distance under clear skies) seen walking along the ice edge thru the strait of 3 Sisters islands. I thought initially Rusty Blackbird but it wasn't a sure thing till I told myself : " get thee over there".But that will wait. I need to look at the feeders first.

The feeders continue to amaze me with its bird numbers and diversity.Thanks to Rob Bate, the seed he filled yesterday got these birds really lively ! And besides the good birds I see like continuing Chipping Sparrow, it must be good stuff Rob added because I see a new visitor on the feeders: an AMERICAN TREE SPARROW !  After 30 minutes viewing of watching high activity ( see my list below), back thru the deep snow again though there is a trampled down trail with some off trail deep snow walking thru, I headed for 3 Sisters to check out my good bird .

It took me abut 30 minutes ( about in my terms "feeder time" ) to get to the Three Sisters islands south shore. I get there and I don't see the bird. I waited. About 15 minutes patient waiting, I see a odd bird walk up unto the east island  and it flew to the other side. I incredulously thought Pipit ? Its an odd , unusual spot to see this species here ; my accustomed thought to seeing these birds is on open spaces  like lawns, scrub meadows and so on. But I was confident that it was a Pipit. I walked along the shore to look around the island. No luck. I figure maybe it flew; so I started back homeward , but along the shore. About 30 paces later, I looked back and see the bird where I was just a minute ago. Its walking on the ice towards the water edge I first spotted from across the lake, the now confirmed Pipit looking into some leaf clutter frozen to the ice edge. Obviously looking for food, I got terrific close looks at this AMERICAN (WATER ) PIPIT . It stayed in the back channel of the islands,  even by and inside the sparse phragmites patch.

What I got for this cold but clear beautiful winter day was an ALL-AMERICAN DAY ( Tree Sparrow and Pipit). That's really cool.

Methinks it should snow more often... ;)>

Location: Prospect Park--Feeders


Observation date: 12/28/10

Number of species: 16


Mourning Dove 28

Downy Woodpecker 2

Black-capped Chickadee 9

Tufted Titmouse 1

Red-breasted Nuthatch 1

White-breasted Nuthatch 1

American Tree Sparrow 1

Chipping Sparrow 1

Fox Sparrow (Red) 1

White-throated Sparrow 23

Dark-eyed Junco 6

Northern Cardinal 5

Red-winged Blackbird 1

House Finch 13

American Goldfinch 12

House Sparrow 5


**
Prospect -Elsewhere
Location: Prospect Park


Observation date: 12/28/10

Notes: Lake is frozen 85% , gulls roosting on it.

Number of species: 21


Canada Goose 80 by Three Sisters islands

Mute Swan 6 lake

Mallard X

Northern Shoveler 90 lake

Ruddy Duck 1 Three Sisters straits

Red-tailed Hawk 1 ad perched near Wellhouse

American Coot 18 scattered lake
Ring-billed Gull 1800 Lake

Herring Gull (American) X

Great Black-backed Gull 9 lake, one seen eating a dead Coot ( either killed or expired naturally)

Rock Pigeon 45

Mourning Dove X

crow sp. 2 on Lake

Black-capped Chickadee X

White-breasted Nuthatch 1 West Island

Gray Catbird 1 LP 249 upper slope, in tangles

European Starling X

American Pipit 1 behind 3 Sisters Island, walking on ice

White-throated Sparrow X

Dark-eyed Junco X

Northern Cardinal X

American Goldfinch 1  LP 249



Yesterday's gusty wind effect: sweetgums seed ball drop near West Island shelter and good sparrow feeding