Thursday, August 12, 2010

August 12th Prospect Green Herons

During a watering spell (for drought affected plants) from my pickup, I happened to be near the Boathouse and remembered Rob Jett's account of the baby Green Heron..So I went to look for it and found the tree easily. But first I saw the parent, then readjusted my view and saw the kid. It was definitely a cute looking fuzzball. I called my coworker over and we received a big surprise.

That surprise was a Red-Tailed Hawk that flew over and perched in an adjoining Oak tree, after a squirrel. Both herons, parent and kid straightened up stiffly , alarmed , watching the Red-tailed, harassed by a Robin. That situation kept the herons fully extended in body , even after the hawk flew off towards the Nethermead.  Quite a moment watching that delightful scene.

On the lake, the usual Forster's Terns complement, 6 birds, three juveniles on the boat mooring apparatus, one more juvenile on a floating driftwood. They don't wanna go; fishing is too darn good on the lake.

---Kingsboider

Location: Prospect Park


Observation date: 8/12/10

Number of species: 4



Green Heron 2 boathouse

Red-tailed Hawk 1  boathouse

Laughing Gull 2  lake

Forster's Tern 6  lake



This report was generated automatically by eBird v2(http://ebird.org)