Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Winter Solstice;BWWARB a holiday treat !





Winter begins tonight 12:30 am Thursday morning. May the new season bring new discoveries , great birds and a humble appreciation for wintry delights. ( Sorry, but I am a winter birder..but look at it this way--the days get longer from now on)

from www.skypub.com

•Longest night of the year (in the Northern Hemisphere). Winter begins at the solstice: at 12:30 a.m. on the 22nd EST, 9:30 p.m. on the 21st PST. This is when the Sun reaches its farthest south of the year and begins its six-month return northward.


And on a very busy workday, the only bird I noticed in the south Midwood was--yes you might have guessed it :WINTER WREN. It flew across the trail, a quick blur and I saw it perched on a dead timber...shaking its body up and down in its typical , almost scolding like fashion.

Oh, the scenery changes, if you haven't noticed on my blog....

*************

Mike Corzine reports the still present BLACK & WHITE WARBLER at the same Binnen pool back woods area yesterday in late afternoon. Amzing to see this tough little bird sticking around for the holidays.

Here's Mike's note:

Hey Peter. On my quick walk through the park to
pick up my little guy, the Black and White is
still present just East of Binnen Pool, 3:20.

Same bat time, same bat channel. Funny what we
take for granted during migration. I'll try to get
some video or a picture if I'm over there tomorrow.
I'm not sure exactly what it's foraging on.
-m


Below's photo courtesy of and credited to Peter Colen: