Thursday, April 23, 2009

4/23 : very rare Prospect BLACK VULTURE verified*

Gil Shrank, whom I met early this morning, has verified the BLACK VULTURE he saw with Matthew Wills.

This represents only I believe the 4th or 5th Prospect record which i have to check my office database;Here are Gil's and Matthew's accounts. P>

Peter,
I saw the Black Vulture about 1/2 hour after I saw you. I was with another birder (name unknown, but a friend of Rafa's). The bird was flying over the Lullwater. It had all of the identifying signs, i.e., short tail, whitish markings on the underwings, frequent flapping. I have never seen one in Prospect before, but they are becoming more common north of here, in CT and MA. ... It made my day. To add to the list, we also saw a Parula from the same vantage point.
Best, Gil


****************

I saw the black vulture over the Lullwater this morning. ......The bird flew right over us so the ID was unquestionable, sawed-off tail, silver whitish "fingers" (primaries). Matthew

Great birding , Gil and Matthew !

P.