Sunday, October 24, 2010

APB on a mystery vireo seen Oct 19th (Prospect)



Last week, I posted a note about a "Philadelphia Vireo" seen south of the Terrace Bridge along Well Drive. (click on the photos for larger images).

However, after further analysis and discussion among top birders here at Prospect and Tom Burke, there is uncertainty about the true identity of the species. Though it looks most  likely Philadelphia Vireo, there is speculation that it could be a western Warbling Vireo or even rarer as suggested a Bell's Vireo. The photos I am attaching might have color distortion , but nevertheless is excellent documentation for further discussion. What I like is if anyone is in the area  and sees this colorful bird ( for this time of the year ), let me know asap at my text message cellphone.

here is the location  as given me by Heidi Clevens who observed the bird and asked my help in trying identifying it which I passed along as well to expert birders here.

"The exact location was by the water fountain. There is a water fountain for people and dogs and its the bushes and the tree right behind it right where the path turns down to Lullwater. There is a tree there (the one I sent you the photo of with the Northern Parula in it that is full of holes made by a sapsucker) and the mystery bird was in that tree and then in the bushes in front of the tree."

[ This is the water fountain across the drive from the Maryland Monument ]

Though seen 5 days ago, it's very possible the vireo is in the Peninsula sumacs area... Hopefully....
and thanks to Heidi Clevens for this fun debate amongst ourselves what the heck it is......

--Kingsboider